Motorola Mobility set to slow losses in Q1

Motorola Mobility set to slow losses in Q1

Motorola Mobility will make another loss in Q1 but at a slower rate than last year.

It will also slow its drive into the European market for now, according to Motorola co-chief executive Sanjay Jha.

Speaking at an investment bank conference, Jha said the company expects a loss in mobile devices in Q1, although he said it would be significantly less than losses reported a year ago.

He added that the current quarter is proceeding quite well. However plans to build the company’s brand in Europe are not the manufacturer’s priority right now, Jha said, adding that the company needed to strengthen its financial position first.

Jha said tablets will be an important part of Motorola's strategy going forward but that smartphones remain a key priority for Motorola.

'I believe smartphones are the computer. They’re the computer you carry with you at all times. We’re planning to participate quite fully in (the tablet) category, but smartphones are still way larger volume and more important because each of us carry it with us at all times.'

Motorola will spin off Motorola Mobility on Jan. 4 as part of its planned separation into two publicly traded companies. Jha, who currently shares the CEO title with Greg Brown at Motorola, will lead Mobility, overseeing mobile devices and television set-top boxes.

Motorola’s mobile phone division reported a 20% increase in revenue to £1.28bn last quarter and an operating loss of £28m compared with an operating loss of £138m a year earlier.

Written by Mobile Today
Mobile Today

Comments

Please wait...


Please write code to prove you're human