Prepay users increasingly enticed by smartphones

Prepay users increasingly enticed by smartphones

Smartphones are proving increasingly popular among prepay users, with more than 60% considering one as their next purchase.

New research from Analysys Mason of Western European and American phone owners revealed only 24% of pay-as-you-go customers have a smartphone but more than half are planning to trade up on their next purchase.

The survey claimed mobile content and apps are not the only drivers of smartphone adoption. Around 51% of consumers said they would buy a smartphone despite not being interested in mobile content or apps. Around 62.5% of smartphone owners regularly consume that content. Ronan de Renesse, principal analyst for mobile content, apps and mobile broadband at Analysys Mason said: 'The remaining 37.5% represents a potential opportunity for mobile operators to sell additional mobile data packages. The second and third-most popular services after applications – mobile web browsing and email – are entirely dependent on data services.'

He added that operators should do more to secure devices which encourage the consumption of mobile content. He said: 'In order to tap into the prepaid market, operators should create new tariffs that encourage prepaid customers to take up entry-level, yet more-profitable, smartphone contracts. Operators should also develop a marketing strategy to drive the sale of smartphones on prepaid tariffs, which would then generate additional revenue via the sale of mobile data packages and content.'

Written by Mobile Today
Mobile Today


Please wait...

Please write code to prove you're human