Android and iOS outpacing smartphone rivals

Android and iOS outpacing smartphone rivals

Android and iOS have tightened their grip on the smartphone market, as devices with the operating systems now account for more than eight out of 10 smartphones shipped.

According to new research from IDC charting the first quarter of 2012, Android holds a 59% share of the smartphone market, with iOS second with 23%. Its combined share of 82% is a substantial rise on the two companies' 54.4% share, which they held in the first quarter last year.

Shipments of Android devices were up 145% to 89.9 million, with iOS up 88.7% to 35.1 million. The third largest increase was for Windows Phones, up 26.9% to 3.3 million. IDC said that while the OS has yet to make significant inroads, 2012 is a 'ramp-up year' for Microsoft. It said: 'Until Nokia speeds the cadence of its smartphone releases or more vendors launch their own Windows Phone-powered smartphones, IDC anticipates slow growth for the operating system.' Windows Phone's increase came at the expense of Nokia's Symbian OS, which declined 60.6% to 10.4 million shipments.

IDC senior research analyst Ramon Llamas said: 'The popularity of Android and iOS stems from a combination of factors that the competition has struggled to keep up with. Neither Android nor iOS were the first to market with some of these features but the way they made the smartphone experience inituitive and seamless has quickly earned a massive following.'

Editor: Graeme Neill

Written by Mobile Today
Mobile Today


Please wait...

Please write code to prove you're human