7/10/2008 10:51:00 AM
O2 confirms 3G iPhone stock shortage ahead of launch
O2 has posted a message to customers warning of low 3G iPhone stock levels available ahead of Fridays’ launch.
The operator published the warning on its website this morning, advising that most stores will only have ‘a few dozen’ up for grabs.
In a further blow to existing iPhone customers, the note revealed that only new customers will be able to purchase the handset in London’s Apple store, while those wishing to upgrade will have to do so in O2 or Carphone Warehouse outlets. It is not yet known how well stocked the Apple store will be on the devices.
Mobile reported in this weeks’ magazine (July 11 issue) that many existing iPhone customers feel they have been overlooked by O2 in favour of new customers.
Here is the O2 message in full:
‘Thank you for your interest in iPhone 3G. We are experiencing unprecedented demand for the device and whilst we are confident that all customers who want iPhone 3G will get one by the end of this summer, initial supply is limited and will be for some weeks. Here is what you need to know:
- O2 and Carphone Warehouse (CPW) stores will have limited numbers of iPhone 3G this Friday 11 July.
- On average, we will only have a few dozen iPhone 3Gs per store (some stores more, some stores less, dependant upon store size so we expect to sell out quickly). Sales of iPhone 3G will be limited to one per customer and two for business customers.
- Some O2 stores will open at 8.02am on Friday, others a bit later.
- If you do go into an O2 store you will need 2 forms of identification, a valid credit or debit card and proof of address. If you are new to O2 you will also need to pass a credit check if you sign up for an iPhone 3G contract. The average sales transaction processing time will be 20 minutes.
- Apple will be selling iPhone 3Gs in their stores, but please note that existing O2 customers can only upgrade in an O2 or CPW store.
- We are working closely with Apple to get additional iPhone 3Gs. These will be coming in on a weekly basis. We'll keep you posted on specific details by updating this web page regularly.
- We are currently out of stock of iPhone 3Gs via our on-line store, we'll update through www.o2.co.ukwhen more information becomes available.
- If you have an existing iPhone you can still enjoy many of the new features by upgrading your software to version 2.0 from 11 July through iTunes.
We are sorry that we can't meet all demand as quickly as we'd like but we're sure that when you get your new iPhone 3G you'll agree it's been worth the wait.’
Don’t forget to check mobiletoday.co.uk for on the spot coverage of tomorrow’s launch