Motorola announces further job cuts

Motorola announces further job cuts


Motorola has announced another round of job cuts and has warned that it will have a fourth quarter loss, due to weaker than expected mobile phone sales.


The company is slashing another 4,000 jobs – around 6% of its workforce – in addition to the 3,000 it announced last year in a bid to further cut costs.


The bulk of the jobs will come from its mobile devices division and will save $700m in 2009, in addition to the $800 it said it would save in 2009 in its reorganisation last year.


Motorola will now focus almost completely on phones based on the Android operating system, rather than Windows Mobile.


The company said it shipped 19 million handsets in the fourth quarter, down from 25.4 million in the third quarter and less than half of the 40.9 million it shipped during the same period last year.


Motorola is expected to announce its fourth quarter results on February 2.


Written by Mobile Today
Mobile Today


Please wait...

Please write code to prove you're human